IN THIS SECTION:
- What Do Gutters Do?
- Do My Gutters Need Replacing?
- Gutter Installation
- Why Choose Licensed, Factory-Certified, Insured & Local Contractors?
- Protecting Your Property: Catch-All Protection Systems
- Our Specialties
- Coming Soon: Solar panels, home-power storage, and more!
Gutters are more than just a decorative edge to the roof with the simple function of diverting rainwater. It’s a vital part of home construction – without properly installed gutters, considerable damage can be done to your roof, your foundation, other parts of your and potentially even your neighbors’ property!
JA Contractors provides complete gutter services, including installation, repair and maintenance. Our expert tradesmen will ensure that the gutter system is functional, sturdy and long-lasting, not to mention an attractive accent to your home.
WHAT DO GUTTERS DO?
Protects the structural integrity of your home
No matter how gently rain falls on your roof, it builds up as it runs off and creates a powerful surge. A few inches of rain falling on the roof of a house can produce several thousands of gallons of water runoff. If the runoff is not diverted, it can pummel the ground next to your foundation. This erodes the soil and can seep directly into your foundation.
Water infiltration into the foundation can cause basement leaks, mold and rot at the least, and instability to the very structural integrity of your house at worst!
Protects your property and your neighborhood
Rainwater can cut pathways through your yard and your neighbor’s yard as well if not properly diverted. This can cause ditches, pool in low-lying areas and even kill grass, flowers or other vegetation.
GUTTER FUNCTION BASICS
Gutter systems consist of two parts:
1. Gutter channels: These are the long, open, horizontal parts that run along the edge of the roof. They collect the runoff from the roof and divert it to the downspout.
2. Downspouts: Closed, tube-like structures that the gutter channels divert runoff to. They ensure the rainwater pours out a safe distance from the house.
Gutter channels are installed at a slight – practically imperceptible – angle to direct water to the downspout. Improperly installed, rainwater would gather in the channels. Standing water leads to rot at the edges of the roof, attract insects and ultimately damage the channel itself from sheer weight.
TYPES OF GUTTERS
Sizes and Shapes
Gutter channels are available in 4, 5, and 6 inch sizes and are referred to by their shapes:
- “U-style” gutter channels are semi-circular (also known as “half-rounds)”.
- “K-style” gutter channels are flat bottomed and feature a shaped street-facing side that resembles interior moulding.
The difference is purely esthetic, and both are virtually equal in performance. Larger sizes conduct water faster, as long as there are enough downspouts to drain the channels without overflowing.
Gutters can be manufactured from a variety of materials. Aluminum gutters are currently the most used gutter material. Restoration professionals and architectural purists favor copper and wood gutters, which are rarely installed. Vinyl gutters are inexpensive and easy to install using do-it-yourself kits.
- Aluminum Gutters
- Versatile, easy to work with
- Wide selection of colors
- Low maintenance
- Vulnerable to denting
- Thicker versions are more expensive
- Galvanized Gutters
- Strong and durable
- Made of steel and zinc
- More expensive than aluminum
- Requires repainting
- May rust over time
- Do not need to be painted
- High-end look
- Will not rust
- Very expensive
- Will oxidize and turn green unless treated
- More complex installation
- Prized by architectural purists
- Classic look, ideal for restorations
- Typically installed with metal downspouts
- Very heavy
- Requires regular maintenance
- Must be treated to prevent water damage
- Very affordable
- Easy to install
- Simple repairs
- Will not rust or corrode
- Damaged by heavy impact
- May crack due to extreme temperatures
Choosing a material and style for your gutter system depends on factors such as budget, esthetics, and your preference for maintenance frequency.
DO MY GUTTERS NEED REPAIR/REPLACING?
It’s important to ensure your gutter systems are fully functional to prevent serious damage to your property. The easiest “yes” to this question is if rainwater is running off from the gutter channels and not diverting to the downspout.
But there is more to proper functioning of gutters than just checking to make sure they’re moving rainwater. Improper care and maintenance can lead to rust, cracks and holes that create leaks. A professional inspection of your gutter system is always recommended, but if you think your gutters may need repair or replacing, here are some things to look for:
- Is the guttering system adequately sized to prevent runoff?
- Are the gutters and downspouts free of cracks, rust, holes or corrosion?
- Do the downspouts properly divert water 4-6 feet from the home’s foundation?
- Are the downspouts properly connected to the gutter channel?
- Does the downspout/gutter channel joint leak?
- Are the downspouts properly attached to the structure of the house?
- Is there any impact damage from weather, vehicle doors (esp. in driveways)?
When your current system needs to be replaced, our specialists are available to assist you. Due to the wide range of guttering materials available on the market, planning such a job might be difficult. Our team can assist you in making an informed selection. We've refined our talents and gained considerable knowledge to install precision-crafted gutter systems for all of our clients.
CUSTOM GUTTER DESIGN
Custom gutters not only fit the exact specifications of your home. They also offer your gutters a clean, smooth appearance, which improves the curb appeal of your home. With a variety of materials, colors and coatings, your gutters become a highlight of your home’s beauty. Want to brainstorm? Our friends at Spectra Metals have a gutter color visualizer, check it out!
GUTTER MAINTENANCE/REPAIR/REPLACEMENT SERVICES
Gutter maintenance includes cleaning gutters of leaves, pine needles, and debris, refastening downspouts, and maintaining splash blocks or connections to subsurface drains. Gutters degrade over time and without regular maintenance, gutters may become non-functional, unattractive, or considerably deteriorated.
WHY CHOOSE LICENSED, FACTORY-CERTIFIED, INSURED & LOCAL CONTRACTORS?
It’s important to work with a contractor you can trust. Roofers and repair companies are likely to be busy after a large regional storm and may try to compete for your business by offering discounts or deals. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
If you found us from outside your service area, a good place to start your research is with the NRCA. If you’re within the Memphis region, contact us for a FREE, no-obligation estimate.
JA Contractors is licensed, bonded, manufacturer certified and our expert inspectors can:
- Review your damage with a professional eye
- Provide an estimate on repair costs
- Replace or repair your roof
WE USE THE CATCH-ALL PROTECTION SYSTEM
We take the "protect" in our motto seriously when we work on your jobsite. To ensure that debris from roofing work stays off your property, we use Catch-All Gutter & Landscaping Protection Systems .
Catch-All is an elegant draping system that leans against the house and protects it and your surroundings from any debris dropping from the roof while it's being worked on.
ROOFING: A key JAC initiative, we’re dedicated to securing rooftops against the challenges of changing weather patterns in the region.
Roofing Contractors, Commercial Roofing, Roofing Company, Roofers, Roof Cleaning, Roof Leak Repair, Roof Replacement, Roof Shingles, TPO Roofing, Storm Damage Roof Repair, Hail Damage Roof Repair, Metal Roofing, Rain Gutter
REMODELING: From your dream kitchen to hundreds of hotel bathrooms, JAC’s upgrades make any room a masterpiece.
Bathroom Remodeling, Kitchen Remodeling, Kitchen and Bath Showroom, Kitchen Cabinets, Countertop Installation, Granite Countertops, Laminate Flooring Installation, Shower Installation, Tile Installation, Vinyl Flooring Installation
GENERAL CONTRACTING SERVICES: We’ve gutted, rebuilt and raised from scratch countless homes, offices and hotels.
We at JAC are at the forefront of next-generation technology, and we're responsive to the evolving needs of the homeowners of today and tomorrow. Solar panel and home power-storage units are tech that we are currently training our roofing experts to install in any home.